The core mission of the Alamance Community College Honors Program is to provide students eager for advanced studies and those with untapped potential with a transformative learning experience that promotes critical thinking, community engagement, and academic exploration.
- Leadership – We are committed to encouraging students to engage in leadership opportunities on campus and in the community.
- Engagement – We are committed to student and community engagement through active programming, active learning, and academic exploration.
- Diversity – We are committed to creating a culture of inclusion that is reflected in our student body and community.
- Collaboration – We foster partnerships, connections, and collegiality with faculty, students, and community.
Students will take honors courses each semester while completing other courses within their program of study. Students enrolled in honors courses must complete honors-based projects in addition to required coursework to receive honors credits. To receive honors credit, students must receive satisfactory on the honors project and earn a final grade of ‘B’ or better in the course. Students will be required to complete 12 hours of honors courses (4 courses) and graduate with a minimum GPA of 3.2 to receive honors recognition. Honors courses will represent 12 of the 60 credit hours needed to graduate with an Associate in Arts (A.A.), Associate in Science (A.S.), Associate in Fine Arts – Music (A.F.A. – M), Associate in Fine Arts – Visual Arts (A.F.A. – VA), or Associate in Engineering (A.E.) degree.
Requirements for Program Completion
- Complete at least four honors classes (12 hours)
- Graduate with a GPA of 3.2 or higher
Benefits to Students:
- Honors recognition on transcript
- Opportunity to do in-depth research and writing related to a particular discipline
- Participation in Honors Program functions and conferences
- A competitive edge when applying to academic programs, colleges, and universities
- Opportunity to assume leadership roles
- Faculty mentorship
How to Apply
Complete and submit the Honors Program Application. Please note that students applying to the honors program must already be admitted to ACC.
Students can be admitted to the honors program in either the fall or spring semester. Students can submit an application by the third week of each semester to the Honors Program Coordinator.
Students who have not applied to the honors program should do so if they wish to take honors courses. Students should be approved to take honors courses before a project is finalized between the student and instructor.
The following are admission requirements for the program.
- Have an overall high school unweighted GPA of 3.2, OR
- Have an overall high school unweighted GPA of 3.0 and Principal recommendation, OR
- Have completed the GED or HiSET with a designation of “college ready”, OR
- Have a College program GPA of 3.2 after completion of a minimum of 12 credit hours, OR
- Have junior status as an Early College student with an unweighted GPA of 3.2 and Principal recommendation, OR
- Have an ACT composite score of 23
- Students who do not meet the above criteria will be considered on a case by case for provisional admission
Questions regarding the Honors Program should be addressed to
Honors Program Coordinator