State Authorization

ACC is a member of the SREBs Electronic Campus

The U.S. Department of Education regulation 600.9(c) State Authorization (released October 29th, 2010) mandates all institutions offering distance education in a state where they have no physical presence, must meet individual state requirements. These requirements are determined by the state’s Department of Education for offering distance or correspondence education within that state.

As the details regarding this new policy unfold and becomes clearer, Alamance Community College (ACC) will continue to be in the process of gaining authorization from other states. The deadline for all higher educational institutions to be in compliance with State Authorization within each individual state is on July 1, 2014. Depending on the outcome of further discussion and the application process for each state regarding this new policy, ACC could notify students residing in some particular states that they are not eligible to register for online education courses with us.

Alamance Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, GA 30033
Phone: 404-679-4500

Alamance Community College is currently authorized to offer online classes or no authorization is required to offer online classes to students residing in the following states.

New Jersey
North Carolina
South Carolina

Alamance Community College is currently not authorized to offer online classes to students residing in the following states.

New Hampshire
New Mexico
New York
North Dakota
Rhode Island
South Dakota
West Virginia

Due to state authorization requirements, students may not complete field experience for any course within these states.  If you have questions, please see your program director.

Alamance Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). SACSCOC Complaint Procedures are available for review by all ACC students and students may file a complaint with SACSCOC.

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, GA 30033
Phone: 404-679-4500

If a complaint cannot be resolved through the institution’s grievance procedures, students may file a complaint with The University of North Carolina System Office. Please review the Student Complaint Process, and complete the online Student Complaint Form and submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina System Office
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688
Phone: (919) 962-4558

If an issue cannot be resolved internally, the student may file a complaint with his/her state. For students residing outside North Carolina, each SARA-member state has a liaison office. Also, you may contact the state agency in your respective state of residence regarding complaint processes.

To file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice, please visit the State Attorney General’s web page at: or access the NC DOJ online fillable complaint form. North Carolina residents may call (877) 566-7226. Outside of North Carolina, please call (919) 716-6000. En Espanol (919) 716-0058.

If you choose to mail a complaint, please use the following address:

Consumer Protection Division
Attorney General’s Office
Mail Service Center 9001
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001

In compliance with the new regulations, an institution offering distance education must provide enrolled and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting agency and with the appropriate state agency for handling complaints in the student’s state. While ACC strives to provide the highest quality education opportunities available, conflicts may arise. It is our aim to resolve any grievances, complaints, and concerns in an expeditious, fair, and amicable manner. If an issue cannot be solved by ACC’s internal processes, you may choose to file a complaint with your state of residence. 

If you are considering a program at Alamance Community College that leads to licensure or certification and you do not live in North Carolina, please contact the individual below that corresponds to your desired program. Prospective out-of-state students are advised to consult with the appropriate ACC program contact, prior to enrollment, regarding any questions of meeting licensure requirements in your respective state of residence. Contact information for each program that leads to licensure has been provided below.

Students may view the disclosures for each program or certificate to know which state(s) Alamance Community College curriculum programs:

– meets state educational requirements for licensure or certification, and
– does not meet state educational requirements for licensure or certification, and
– the institution has not made a determination whether the program curriculum meets or does not meet, state educational requirements for licensure or certification.

Business, Arts, and Sciences
Sonya McCook, Dean
Phone: 336-506-4278

Health and Public Services
David Frazee, Dean
Phone: 336-506-4135

Industrial Technologies
Justin Snyder, Dean
Phone: 336-506-4279

View the Licensure List to learn about the appropriate licensing or certification organization for your program.

Although we strive to connect you with the best information possible, Alamance Community College cannot confirm whether a particular program meets requirements for professional licensure and/or certification outside of the State of North Carolina.

Program Licensure/Certification Organization ACC Program Contact
A/C Heating & Refrigeration Technology North Carolina State Board of Examiners of Plumbing, Heating, and Fire Sprinkler Contractors

Licensure Contact Information by State

Rodney Barber
Architectural Technology Autodesk

ACC’s Architectural Technology program prepares students to sit for Autodesk Certification, which is valid throughout the United States. However, this certification is not regulated by individual states. It is recommended that you contact the Autodesk for specific information related to your state.

James Adkins
Automotive Systems Technology - ASE Automotive Service Excellence (ASE)

ACC’s ASE program prepares students to sit for the certification exam. This specific certification is not regulated by individual states. It is recommended that you contact ASE for specific information related to your state.

Bill Crabtree
Computer-Integrated Machining Technology National Institute of Metalworking Skills (NIMS)

ACC’s Computer-Integrated Machining program prepares students to sit for NIMS Certification, which is valid throughout the United States. However, this certification is not regulated by individual states. It is recommended that you contact the National Institute for Metalworking Skills for specific information related to your state.

Dan Quatrone
Culinary Arts - Food Safety Manager ServSafe

The ServSafe certification is recognized in most jurisdictions where a Food Protection Manager Certification is required. However, some states have additional requirements and contact with ServSafe is recommended.

Brian Bailey
Heavy Equipment ACC’s Heavy Equipment Operator course offered through our Continuing Education Division prepares students to become credentialed through the National Center for Construction Education and Research . This credential is not state-specific. Gary Saunders
Horticulture Technology - NC Certified Plant Professional North Carolina Nursery and Landscape Association

Licensure Contact Information by State

Dr. Elizabeth Riley
Horticulture Technology - NC Commercial Ground Pesticide Applicator North Carolina Nursery and Landscape Association

Licensure Contact Information by State

Dr. Elizabeth Riley
OSHA 10-Hour General Industry US Department of Labor Louis Judge
Welding Technology American Welding Society

FTCC’s Welding program prepares students to sit for the AWS Exam. This certification is not regulated by individual states. It is recommended that you contact the American Welding Society (AWS) for specific information related to your state.

Mike Holt


Alabama Commission on Higher Education
P.O. Box 302000
Montgomery, AL 36130-2000
Telephone: (334) 242-1998
Fax: (334) 242-0268


Alaska Commission on Post-Secondary Education
P.O. Box 110505
Juneau, AK 99811-0505
Telephone: (907) 465-2962
Fax: (907) 465-5316
Alaska Complaints


Arizona State Board for Private Post-Secondary Education
1400 W. Washington Street, Room 260
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Telephone: (602) 542-5709
Fax: (602) 542-1253
Arizona Complaints


Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board
Arkansas Department of Higher Education
114 East Capitol Avenue
Little Rock, AR 72201
Telephone: (501) 371-2000
Arkansas Complaints (See Appendix J)


California Bureau of Private Post-Secondary Education
P.O. Box 980818
W. Sacramento, CA 95798-0818
Telephone: (916) 431-6959
Fax: (916) 263-1895
California Complaints


Colorado Department of Higher Education
1560 Broadway, Suite 1600
Denver, CO 80202
Telephone: (303) 866-2723
Fax: (303) 866-4266
Colorado Complaints


Office of Higher Education
61 Woodland Street
Hartford, CT 06105-2326
Telephone: (860) 947-1801
Connecticut Complaints


Delaware Department of Education
Delaware Higher Education Office
John G. Townsend Building
401 Federal Street
Dover, DE 19901
Telephone: (302) 735-4000
Fax: (302) 739-4654
Delaware Complaints

District of Columbia

District of Columbia Office of the State Superintendent of Education
Education Licensure Commission
810 First Street, NE, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20002
Telephone: (202) 442-4343
Alternative Telephone: (202) 442-4465
District of Columbia Complaints


Florida Commission on Independent Education
325 W. Gaines Street, Suite 1414
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400
Telephone: (850) 245-0505
Fax: (850) 245-9667


Georgia Nonpublic Post-Secondary Education Commission
2082 East Exchange Place #220
Tucker, GA 30084-5334
Telephone: (770) 414-3300
Fax: (770) 414-3309
Georgia Complaints


Hawaii State Board of Education
P.O. Box 2360
Honolulu, HI 96804
Telephone: (808) 933-0910
Fax: (808) 933-8845
Hawaii Complaints


Idaho State Board of Education
Attn: State Coordinator for Private Colleges and Proprietary Schools
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0037
Telephone: (208) 334-2270
Fax: (208) 334-2632
Idaho Complaints


Associate Director for Diversity and Outreach
Illinois Board of Higher Education
1 N. Old State Capitol Plaza, Suite 333
Springfield, IL 62701-1377
Telephone: (217) 782-2551
Fax: (217) 782-8548
Illinois Complaints


Academic Programs Manager
Indiana Commission for Higher Education
101 West Ohio Street, Suite 550
Indianapolis, IN 46204-1984
Telephone: (317) 232-1320
Fax: (317) 233-4219
Indiana Complaints


Iowa College Student Aid Commission
430 East Grand Avenue, FL 3
Des Moines, IA 50309
Telephone: (515) 725-3400
Fax: (515) 725-3401
Iowa Complaints


Kansas Board of Regents
1000 SW Jackson Street, Suite 520
Topeka, KS 66612-1368
Telephone: (785) 296-4917
Fax: (785) 296-7052
Kansas Complaints


CPE Consumer Complaint
Council on Post-Secondary Education
1024 Capital Center Drive, Suite 320
Frankfort, KY 40601
Telephone: (502) 573-1555
Fax: (502) 573-1535
Kentucky Complaints


SARA Student Complaints
Louisiana Board of Regents
P.O. Box 3677
Baton Rouge, LA 70821-3677
Telephone: (225) 342-4253
Fax: (225) 342-9318
Louisiana Complaints


SARA Complaints
Maine Department of Education
23 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0023
Telephone: (207) 624-6600
Fax: (207) 624-6700


Consumer Protection Division
Office of Attorney General
200 Saint Paul Place
Baltimore, MD 21202
Telephone: (410) 260-4500
Fax: (800) 974-0203
Maryland Complaints


Massachusetts Department of Higher Education
One Ashburton Place, Room 1401
Boston, MA 02108
Telephone: (617) 994-6950
Fax: (617) 727-0955
Massachusetts Complaints


State of Michigan
Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Corporations, Securities, & Commercial Licensing Bureau Administrative Services Section-Complaint Intake
P.O. Box 30018
Lansing, MI 48909
Telephone: (517) 373-1820
Fax: (517) 373-2129
Michigan Complaints


Institutional Registration & Licensing
Minnesota Office of Higher Education
1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108-5227
Telephone: (651) 642-0567
Fax: (651) 642-0675
Minnesota Complaints


Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation
Student Complaints
3825 Ridgewood Road
Jackson, MS 39211-6453
Telephone: (601) 432-6372
Fax: (601) 432-6225
Mississippi Complaints


Missouri Department of Higher Education
205 Jefferson Street
P.O. Box 1469
Jefferson City, MO 65102-1469
Telephone: (573) 526-1577
Fax: (573) 751-6635
Missouri Complaints (See Complaint Resolution Policy PDF)


Montana Board of Regents
Office of Commissioner of Higher Education
Montana University System
2500 Broadway Street
P.O. Box 203201
Helena, MT 59620-3201
Telephone: (406) 444-6570
Montana Complaints


Nebraska's Coordinating Commission for Post-Secondary Education
ATTN: Complaints
P.O. Box 95005
Lincoln, NE 68509-5005
Telephone: (402) 471-2847
Fax: (402) 471-2886
Nebraska Complaints


Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs
SARA Portal Agency
Nevada System of Higher Education
2601 Enterprise Road
Reno, NV 89512
Telephone: (702) 486-7330
Fax: (702) 486-7340
Nevada Complaints

New Hampshire

New Hampshire Department of Education
101 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301-3494
Telephone: (603) 271-3494

New Jersey

Secretary of Higher Education
New Jersey Higher Education
P.O. Box 542
Trenton, NJ 08625-0542
Telephone: (609) 588-3266
New Jersey Complaints

New Mexico

New Mexico Higher Education Department
2048 Galisteo Street
Santa Fe, NM, 87505-2100
Telephone: (505) 476-8400
Fax: (505) 476-8453

New York

New York State Education Department, Office of Higher Education
New Your Office of College and University Evaluation
EBA Room 960
Albany, NY 12234
Telephone: (518) 474-2593
Fax: (518) 486-2779
New York Complaints

North Carolina

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
C/O Student Complaints
University of North Carolina System Office
910 Raleigh Road
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27515-2688
Telephone: (919) 962-4550
North Carolina Complaints

North Dakota

Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs
North Dakota University System
600 East Boulevard Avenue
Bismarck, ND 58505-0230
Telephone: (701) 328-3180
Fax: (701) 328-1255
North Dakota Complaints


Ohio Department of Higher Education
25 South Front Street
Columbus, OH 43215
Telephone: (614) 466-2752
Fax: (614) 466-2219
Ohio Complaints


Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
655 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
Telephone: (405) 225-9100
Oklahoma Complaints


Higher Education Coordinating Commission
ATTN: Complaints - SARA
775 Court Street NE
Salem, OR 97301
Telephone: (503) 947-5600
Fax: (503) 378-5156
Oregon Complaints


Pennsylvania Department of Education
333 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17126
Telephone: (717) 783-6137
Fax: (717) 783-6139
(SARA).aspx#tab-1#.VownclLG_T8">Pennsylvania Complaints

Puerto Rico

Puerto Rick Council on Education (Consejo de Educacion de Puerto Rico)
P.O. Box 19900
San Juan, PR 00910-1900
Telephone: (787) 641-7100
Fax: (787) 641-2573
Puerto Rico Complaints

Rhode Island

Office of Post-Secondary Commissioner
560 Jefferson Blvd.
Warwick, RI 02886-1304
Telephone: (401) 456-6008

South Carolina

South Carolina Commission on Higher Education
Academic Affairs
1122 Lady Street, Suite 300
Columbia, SC 29201
Telephone: (803) 737-2260
Fax: (803) 737-2297
South Carolina Complaints

South Dakota

South Dakota Board of Regents
306 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501
Telephone: (605) 773-3455
Fax: (803) 737-2297
South Dakota Complaints


DPSA Complaints
Tennessee Higher Education Commission
Parkway Towers, Suite 1900
Nashville, TN 37243-0830
Telephone: (615) 741-3605
Fax: (615)741-6230


Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
Office of General Counsel
P.O. Box 12788
Austin, TX 78711-2788
Telephone: (512) 427-6101
Contact Form


Utah System of Higher Education
Board of Regents Building
The Gateway
600 South 400 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
Telephone: (801) 530-6601
Fax: (801) 530-6001
Utah Complaints


Post-Secondary Approvals
Vermont Agency of Education
219 North Main Street, Suite 402
Barre, VT 05641
Telephone: (802) 828-3135
Vermont Complaints


State Council of Higher Education for Virginia
James Monroe Building
101 N. 14th Street, 10th FL
Richmond, VA 23219
Telephone: (804) 371-2285
Fax: (804) 225-2604
Virginia Complaints


Washington Student Achievement Council
917 Lakeridge Way SW
Olympia, WA 98502
Telephone: (360) 753-7869
Washington Complaints

West Virginia

West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission
1018 Kanawha Boulevard, East, Suite 700
Charleston, WV 25301
Telephone: (304) 558-4016
West Virginia Complaints


University of Wisconsin System
Academic Programs and Educational Innovation
1612 Van Hise Hall
1220 Linden Dr.
Madison, WI 53706
Telephone: (608) 266-1996
Fax: (608) 264-8477
Wisconsin Complaints


Wyoming Community College Commission
2300 Capital Ave, 5th Floor, Suite B
Cheyenne, WY 82002
Telephone: (307) 777-5712
Wyoming Complaints