Refunds and Return of Title IV

Financial Aid Refunds

If you have aid in excess of your tuition/fees and bookstore charges, a check will be written to you for the balance after all semester charges have been made. The balance check will mailed approximately six weeks from the start of the semester. Pell Grant checks will be mailed to you at the address you provide to the ACC Records office unless you have any outstanding balance with the college. See Cashier and Student Accounts Office.

Financial Aid Recalculation Date

At the ten percent (10%) point of a semester, the financial aid office will recalculate a student’s enrollment. If a student enrolls in an additional course after the Financial Aid recalculation date, the student will not be paid additional aid for the course. If the student initially applies for aid at a point later than the Financial Aid recalculation date, the student’s recalculation will be taken at the time of the receipt of the valid FAFSA. The Financial Aid recalculation date is determined by the Financial Aid Director and is usually not the same date as the class census date.

Return of Title IV Aid

Students who withdraw from all courses prior to completing 60% of the semester will have their award and eligibility for aid recalculated based on the percent of the semester completed.

For example, a student who withdraws completing only 30% of the term will have “earned” only 30% of any Title IV aid received. The remaining 70% must be returned by the student. 
See the full Return of Title IV Aid policy here (PDF).

If you are thinking about withdrawing from all courses PRIOR to completing 60% of the semester, you should contact the Financial Aid Office to see how your withdrawal will affect your financial aid. Withdrawals from courses may affect your future Financial Aid eligibility and your Satisfactory Academic Progress status.

Complete Withdrawal from School

If you register and then completely withdraw from all courses, your eligibility for aid will be RECALCULATED based on the number of days you attended class. If you withdraw on or after the first class day, you may have to repay a portion of any cash financial aid received. See Return of Title IV Funds above. If you completely withdraw, you should reference the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy to determine if your withdrawal will affect your eligibility for future aid.

Tuition Assistance (TA Funds)

All students who use Tuition Assistance (TA) should contact their Education Service Officer or counselor within their military service branch prior to enrolling at the College.  Tuition Assistance course approval must be authorized before the first day of classes.  However, some service branches require approval a week prior to the first day of classes.

Alamance Community College (ACC) Policy and Schedule for Return of Unearned Tuition Assistance Funds