Dropping a Class

Having trouble in a class, feeling behind after missing a day or two, studying got you down? If you find yourself in any of these situations, STOP and ask yourself will this affect my Financial Aid?

Before you simply stop attending or withdraw (drop) from the course, come to the Financial Aid office to see what impact dropping the course will have on your awarded Financial Aid for the current semester and future semesters.

Regulations require that the Financial Aid office monitor student withdrawals (drops).

Any student who withdraws from a course, either officially or unofficially, should know how the withdrawal could affect the eligibility for financial aid as determined by the Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards.

  • A withdrawal will count as attempted, but not completed credit hours.
  • A grade of WP will affect the completion rate, but will not count in the GPA calculation.

Financial Aid recipients should discuss the consequences of dropping from a course with the Financial Aid Office before doing so. Please make an appointment with our Financial Aid Specialist by clicking HERE or by calling 336-506-4340.

Return of Title IV Aid

Students who withdraw from all courses prior to completing 60% of the semester will have their award and eligibility for aid recalculated based on the percent of the semester completed.

For example, a student who withdraws completing only 30% of the term will have “earned” only 30% of any Title IV aid received. The remaining 70% must be returned by the student.

If you are thinking about withdrawing from all courses PRIOR to completing 60% of the semester, you should contact the Financial Aid Office to see how your withdrawal will affect your financial aid. Withdrawals from courses may affect your future Financial Aid eligibility and your Satisfactory Academic Progress status.

For more information on how Return of Title IV Aid works please review the policy.

Complete Withdrawal from School

If you register and then completely withdraw from all courses, your eligibility for aid will be RECALCULATED based on the number of days you attended class. If you withdraw on or after the first class day, you may have to repay a portion of any cash financial aid received. See Return of Title IV Funds above. If you completely withdraw, you should reference the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy to determine if your withdrawal will affect your eligibility for future aid.