Biotechnology & Biosciences
North Carolina is home to more than 700 bioscience companies, ranging from pharmaceuticals and medical devices to agriculture, aquaculture, and biodefense. Students can prepare for careers in these exciting industries in the biotechnology program through the Center of Excellence at Alamance Community College.
The Biotechnology program offers an Associate in Applied Science degree in biotechnology and certificates in bioinformatics and basic laboratory techniques. There are also opportunities to pursue higher level degrees at several state universities after completing the associate’s degree.
The ideal student has:
- An interest and an aptitude for science, especially biology and chemistry
- An inquisitive mind
- Good problem-solving skills
- A methodical approach to work
- An eye for details
- Strong computer skills
- An ability to analyze statistical and technical data
- The ability to work both as a team and independently
Students gain hands-on experience in our state-of-the-art facility that includes a cell culture lab, bioprocessing lab, and DNA lab. Each student gains the extensive laboratory skills necessary to enter the workforce directly or to continue their education elsewhere. This positions graduates favorably for entry-level jobs with the essential skills to be successful in an industry or research settings.
Coursework includes instruction in:
- Lab equipment use, calibration, and troubleshooting
- Bioprocessing – upstream and downstream processing
- Cell Culture – bacterial, mammalian, and stem cell lines
- Gene cloning, genetic engineering, and DNA sequencing
- Immunological assays, antibody production, and screening methods
Why choose ACC for your biotechnology education?
- Enjoy flexible schedules (full-time/part-time options, evening classes)
- Receive hands-on training from expert professors
- Earn a valuable degree that is sought after by area employers
- Keep your debt low (multiple financial aid options)
- Benefit from connections with local companies