ACC Names IBM 2019 Business Partner of the Year
Present for the Business Partner of the Year Award were (from left): Fairfax Reynolds, President, ACC Foundation Board of Directors; Lisa Wills Thaller, IBM WorldWide Pricing and Investment Manager; Jack Overacre, IBM Vice President of Global Delivery Excellence; Steven Shelton, IBM Delivery Partner Executive; Carolyn Rhode, Executive Director, ACC Foundation; and Renard Spratling, Department Head, Computer Information Technology.
Alamance Community College has named IBM in Research Triangle Park as its 2019 Business Partner of the Year. The award recognizes local businesses that provide outstanding support to ACC students and graduates.
The ACC Foundation made the announcement during the annual Public Officials and Business and Industry Leaders Breakfast on December 4. Accepting the award on behalf of the company were Jack Overacre, Jr., Vice President of Global Delivery Excellence at IBM; Steven Shelton, Delivery Partner Executive; and Lisa Wills Thaller, WorldWide Pricing and Investment Manager.
With Jack Overacre as a driving force, IBM is the epitome of an ideal business partner, having made significant contributions of time, energy, financial gifts, and opportunities for ACC students over many years:
- IBM provides numerous volunteers to ACC, mostly executives and middle managers from their US and global sites. These executives and managers serve on the College’s Foundation Board, Information Technology (IT) Advisory Board, help support ACC’s youth STEM-related programs, mentor students, and routinely speak to classes in the IT program and the general student body about fields related to cybersecurity, cloud computing, data science, mainframe systems and software engineering, among others.
- IBM partnered with the College in 2017 to organize internships and apprenticeships for students as part of the company’s New Collar initiative and Skills Accelerator program. This initiative allows students to expand their network, learn new skills, and receive personalized guidance from IBM professionals while pursuing their career paths in the form of one-on-one meetings, career advice, and job shadowing. More than 100 ACC students have participated in IBM New Collar and related opportunities to date.
- Jack Overacre, Jr., Vice President of Global Delivery Excellence, IBM Global Technology Services, has served on the ACC Foundation Board since 2006. As a Board member, he has served on the Investment Committee since his tenure began. He is also a 1969 of Alamance Community College (then known as Technical Institute of Alamance).
- Since 1990, IBM has provided $90,000 in donations to the College, primarily through matching gift donations for various current employees and retirees. The company is on record with 21 years of consecutive giving.
Prior year winners of ACC’s Business Partner of the Year Award:
- 2006: LabCorp and ARMC (tie)
- 2007: Duke Energy
- 2008: Kernodle Clinic
- 2009: Chandler Concrete Company, Inc.
- 2010: Honda Power Equipment
- 2011: Twin Lakes Community
- 2012: Glen Raven
- 2013: County of Alamance
- 2014: Pro Feet
- 2015: Color Landscapes, GKN, Sandvik Coromant
- 2016: Carolina Biological Supply
- 2017: Fairystone Fabrics
- 2018: LabCorp