University Transfer


University Transfer

The university transfer program is a program of study that includes courses that are transferable to most four year colleges and universities in North Carolina. The degrees awarded are for 60 hours of transferable credit. In the North Carolina Community College System, the Associate in Arts (A.A.) and Associate in Science (A.S.) degree programs are included in the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement as university transfer programs.


How do I decide between A.A. and A.S. programs?

The Associate in Arts (A.A.) is a two-year degree with an emphasis on courses such as English, fine arts, foreign languages, history, philosophy, psychology, computer science, or sociology. The Associate in Science (A.S.) is a two-year degree with an emphasis on courses such as biology, chemistry, geology, mathematics, or physics. Thirty-two (32) of the sixty hours required to complete the (A.S.) must be math, science, or computer courses. Both of these programs prepare students for different majors at four-year institutions. The A.A. degree is generally for liberal arts majors, and the A.S. for engineering, science, allied health, or math-related majors. You do not need to earn an A.S. degree in order to transfer to a university in order to earn a B.S. degree. Talk with your advisor to develop a plan appropriate to your career goals.

What is the A.E. degree?

Alamance Community College offers the Associate in Engineering (AE) degree to students interested in transferring to a School of Engineering at one of the public universities in North Carolina. The AE curriculum program will enhance the workforce of North Carolina, and will provide educational and training opportunities consistent with the mission of the college.

The degree plan includes required general education and prerequisite courses that are acceptable to all state funded Bachelor of Engineering programs. Students who follow the degree progression plan will meet the entrance requirements at all of the North Carolina public Bachelor of Science Engineering programs. Associate in Engineering graduates may then apply to any of these programs without taking additional and sometimes duplicate courses. Admission to Engineering programs is highly competitive and admission is not guaranteed.

To be eligible for the transfer of credits under the AE to the Bachelor of Science in Engineering Articulation Agreement, community college graduates must obtain a grade of “C” or better in each course and an overall GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.

What is an advisor and how do I get one?

Upon admission to the program, the Student Development office will assign a faculty member to serve as your personal advisor or you may request a particular advisor. Your advisor will assist you in selecting courses appropriate to your areas of interest and provide a sense of continuity during your time here. You are required to meet with your advisor each semester prior to registration for the following semester in order to complete a plan of study.

What is C-STEP (Carolina Student Transfer Excellence Program)?

C-STEP (Carolina Student Transfer Excellence Program) is a comprehensive and competitive academic program designed to increase the number of high-achieving, low-to moderate-income community college transfer students entering and graduating from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. Alamance Community College University Transfer program students who are accepted into C-STEP, complete an associate degree, and comply with all other C-STEP program requirements will be guaranteed junior transfer admission to UNC-Chapel Hill and may fall under the Carolina Covenant, which guarantees graduation from UNC debt-free. For further information, contact Perry Hardison in Room 363 (336-506-4237).

What is the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement?

The North Carolina Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) is a statewide agreement governing the transfer of credits between North Carolina community colleges and North Carolina public universities and has as its objective the smooth transfer of students from two- to four-year institutions. A number of private institutions have also agreed to abide by the principles of the CAA. The CAA provides certain assurances to the transferring student such as the Transfer Assured Admission Policy. North Carolina community college students who earn an associate’s degree according to the guidelines of the CAA will transfer 60 credit hours and be treated as juniors at the receiving UNC institution.

For additional information on the CAA and transfer to the UNC System, visit HERE.

What is the Transfer Assured Admissions Policy (TAAP)?

Beginning in Fall Semester 2005, the CAA assures admission to one of the 16 UNC institutions with the following stipulations:

  • Admission is not assured to a specific campus or specific program or major.
  • Students must have graduated from a North Carolina Community College with an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree.
  • Students must meet all requirements of the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement.
  • A student must have an overall GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale, as calculated by the college from which he or she graduated, and a grade of “C” or better in all CAA courses.
  • Students must be academically eligible for re-admission to the last institution attended.
  • Students must meet judicial requirements of the institution to which the student applies.
  • Students must meet all application requirements at the receiving institution including the submission of all required documentation by stated deadlines.

Does the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement mean that I can automatically transfer to one of the 16 campuses within the University of North Carolina system?

No. You must apply and be accepted. The admissions procedure is still quite competitive, and certain programs are highly selective in their admissions. In addition, some schools limit the number of transfer students they will accept. Talk to you advisor about any issues you have in regard to applying. However, the Transfer Assured Admissions Policy does assure that A.A./A.S. graduates who are covered by the CAA will be accepted to at least one of the 16 UNC institutions. It does not guarantee that you will be accepted at any particular university.

Is there a limit to how many semester hours of credit I can transfer to the

Most universities do not award transfer credit in excess of 64 hours. However, there are exceptions to that rule. You should talk with a university admissions counselor to find out if those exceptions apply in your case.