What is a Library Research Consultation?
Research consultations are one-on-one blocks of individualized, uninterrupted time with the reference librarian on how to effectively use the library for research. Research consultations are given priority to Alamance Community College students. If you need more immediate assistance, please contact the library at 336-506-4116 or stop by the reference desk for assistance.
What is covered during a research consultation?
It depends on your assignment and what kind of information you may need.
The following areas may be covered during a consultation:
- Use of the library’s online catalog to find books and AV materials.
- Searching electronic databases for articles pertaining to your assignment.
- Searching the Internet for appropriate sources.
- Finding an effective search strategy for your assignment or topic.
What is NOT covered during a research consultation?
- Writing, editing or proofing your assignment. Please see your instructor for assistance.
- Answering questions pertaining to your assignment.
- Citing your sources.
How long do research consultations last?
Consultations may last from 15 minutes to one hour depending on the nature of the assignment.
How do I contact the library to schedule a consultation?
Email the library at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment. Please allow two business days for us to get back with you.
Please include the following information in your request:
- Your name and phone number.
- Date and time for your appointment. Please give an alternate date/time in case your preferred time does not work.
- Class and instructor’s name.
- A few details about your assignment.
- Due date for your assignment.
What do I need to bring to the research consultation?
- Your assignment or syllabus.
- Any information that you have found for your assignment.
- A positive attitude and a smile.
When are research consultations available?
Research consultations are available Monday – Thursday – 8:00 am – 3:30 pm and Fridays 8:00 am – 2:00 pm. If you need an evening appointment, appointments will be made depending on staff availability. Please note: During the summer schedule, availability for appointments may vary depending on staff and the library’s operating hours.
If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please email email@example.com at least 24 hours before the appointment or call 336-506-4116 to speak to a library staff member.