Distance Learning Students
1. HOW CAN I GET A LIBRARY CARD? Contact the LRC by phone, e-mail, FAX, or postal mail or come by in person and ask for a registration form. If you choose not to come in person, mail the completed registration form back to us along with a copy of a picture ID with current address on it or a copy of your enrollment form. We will keep it on file in the LRC and use it to check out information when you request it. Our phone number is 336-506-4116. Our e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org and our FAX number is 336-578-5561.
2. HOW CAN I GET BOOKS OR A/V MATERIAL? The library catalog is available on the internet. There is a link on the library’s main webpage. Let us know, by e-mail, FAX, phone, or in person what material you need. Indicate title, author or subject and any other information you might have about the item you are requesting. If we do not have an item, we will ask you if you would like us to get it on interlibrary loan (ILL). This takes a little longer – usually one to three weeks. You can request an ILL yourself on the library’s catalog. It is called “placing a hold” When the item comes in or we pull it off the shelves here, we can mail it to you or you can pick it up at the library.
3. WHAT LIBRARY SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE ON THE LEARNING RESOURCES WEB PAGE? NC LIVE is available, by password access, through the LRC. NC LIVE stands for North Carolina Libraries for Virtual Education and provides user access to over 50 commercial databases. These databases cover a wide variety of subjects and provide indexing and full-text of thousands of journal and magazine articles. You can now use NC LIVE off-campus. This service that began in the fall of 1999, is called NC LIVE@home. SIRS the Social Issues Resources Series is a database contain journal, magazine and newspaper articles on social issues. This database is also available at home using a password.
4. HOW DO I GET A PASSWORD FOR NC LIVE@home? Passwords can be requested through the Learning Resources Center in person, by phone, FAX, e-mail, or postal mail (see #1). Each applicant must be verified as ACC faculty, staff, or student before the password will be issued (Verification is required as part of the contract negotiated with the database vendors). After verification, the LRC will issue you the password, instructions on how to log on to NC LIVE, and general information about NC LIVE@home. SIRS and other database passwords may be obtained at the LRC, over the phone, by fax, by e-mail or postal mail. Please contact the LRC for more information.
5. HOW DO I GET REFERENCE SERVICE FROM HOME? The LRC staff will be happy to answer your reference questions or assist you with your research. Call or e-mail your questions to us and we will contact you with answers or suggestions to help you complete your research. If we need clarification, we will get back in touch with you by phone or e-mail–which ever you prefer. If you need copies of reference or reserve material that cannot be checked out of the LRC, you will be charged $.05 per page for copies.
6. WHEN ARE YOU OPEN? The LRC is open Monday through Thursday from 7:45 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. On Friday, we are open from 7:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. during fall and spring semesters. Also, during fall and spring we are open on Saturday from 8:00 a.m to 12 noon. If you call when we are closed, please leave a voice mail message and we will respond the next day that we are open. You can e-mail us any time and we will try to respond within 24 hours of the next day we are open.
7. WHAT HELP CAN YOU PROVIDE IF I HAVE VISION PROBLEMS OR OTHER SPECIAL NEEDS? We can provide assistance in a variety of ways, but special needs students should first contact the special needs counselor in the Student Development office. How to Request Assistance You are invited to contact the LRC for assistance with reference and research questions. Reference questions may be e-mailed, faxed, or phoned into the LRC (library). Please use only the fax/voice phone numbers and e-mail address listed below.
If you do not receive a reply within 24 hours, please contact the LRC to confirm that we received your reference question. Telephone: Phone 335-506-4116 Fax 336-578-5561 E-mail: email@example.com Mailing Address: Learning Resources Center Alamance Community Center P.O. Box 8000 Graham, NC 27253-8000